FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Will my hotel or vacation rental accommodate the chair?
· You are responsible for checking with the Front Desk, or Property Manager at your vacation destination to assure availability of a suitable, secured place indoors for storage and charging of the powered beach wheelchair. Also check to make sure a suitable ingress into the sand is accessible.
I booked a handicapped accessible room, will the chair fit inside?
· The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) established a series of accessible design requirements when constructing hotels and other lodging facilities that apply to the design of ADA hotel rooms. The minimum width of doors and entryways in hotel facilities is 32 inches, to allow for the clear passage of people with disabilities. Our chair is about 33-1/2 inches at its widest point to allow for stability on the sand and will not fit through some doorways.
Where are powered chairs allowed to be operated?
· With the exception of going into the water, Beach-it Mobility Inc. powered wheelchairs are allowed to go everywhere on the beach people without disabilities are allowed to go. Although this is an off-road rated chair, you are not allowed to drive on the dunes or protected areas. The chair is not designed to be driven on pavement due to the softness of the tires.
What is the weight limit for the rider?
· The rider must not exceed 300 lbs.
How long will the batteries last?
· Once fully charged, the batteries should last 6-8 hours depending on the weight of the rider, and terrain conditions.
How long does it take to charge the batteries?
· Charging takes 4-6 hours.
What if it rains?
· Although the chair will operate in the rain, please seek shelter and avoid operating in wet conditions for any extended period. The joystick is the most sensitive component to moisture.
Can I take the chair into the water?
· No, to avoid costly damage to the electrical components, powered chairs must stay at least 10 yards from the water. If the sand is wet from the breaking waves, you are getting too close.
Can I carry passengers?
· No, Beach-it Mobility Inc. powered wheelchairs have a maximum weight limit of 300 pounds, and the seats are designed for one operator.
Can I let others borrow the chair?
· No, if you let someone else borrow the chair and they damage it, you are responsible for any damages.
Can I take the chair out-of-town?
· No, we can’t let you take the chair out-of-town.